Thank you to all who stopped by our booth this last weekend! Kipja and I had a great time working our first show and meeting you all. We were so happy to see how many of you share our love of these simply beautiful containers. It was obvious many of you were very happy to find something a bit less fussy for your centerpieces. We think they will look great in your urban garden or venue as well as your vintage wedding locations. We are available to help make decorating selections so you can create your own unique and beautiful wedding. Our website has some great inspirational photos but also please call for details on pricing and specific container sizes.
We notice Seattle Bride Magazine took notice of us as well saying “I just fell in love with them”. Thanks SBM!
We have been having a blast in August growing our rental containers full of beautiful organic wheatgrass. Most recently we were invited to decorate a beachside garden wedding which will be featured on the TLC show, Four Weddings. The bride was inspired to create a party that was a bit less traditional but wanted something beautifully simple, different, eco-friendly and affordable for her centerpieces. We were her perfect fit! My designer friend, Kipja, and I had great fun decorating the party and were truly amazed how little we needed to spend on flowers as we just needed a few stems on each table for a pop of color. We are all very excited to see the upcoming Four Weddings episode of RJ and Monica’s wedding which was a fantastic party.
Earlier in the month we were also invited to decorate tables for a small dinner party Martha Stewart was attending. Again, the hosts wanted something beautifully simple and modern. We took cutting from one of their beautiful trees and sprinkled those around the table in mini modern vases. We also rented Glassy Baby candle holders in monochromatic natural colors and beautiful cloths from Choice Linens and it was gorgeous. Photos of our tables even made it on Martha’s blog!
Spend as little as $1 per week growing wheatgrass at home in Seattle. All you need is a wheatgrass juicer and growing supplies. Indianola Organics, near Seattle has everything you need to begin growing right away, including seeds, planting trays and our favorite juicers.
Soak your hard winter wheat seed (also called wheat berries) overnight (8 to 12 hours). Use 2 cups(dry seed measured) for a 10″x 20″ tray.
Sprout the seed in a jar for the next 16 to 24 hours, rinsing the seed well three times a day.
After a very short “tail” is visible, plant the seed on top of the soil. Basic potting mix or topsoil will work fine. Peat moss is an important ingredient to look for in your soil so if you have to add it, the mix is one part peat moss to three parts soil, filled halfway up a two-inch deep tray.
Water the tray and then cover the seeds to keep them from drying out for the first three days.
During the first three days of growth, water once a day in the morning and really soak the soil (until the tray drips is a good sign you are watering enough). Then lightly mist your seed in the evening (lift cover off to mist seed).
On the fourth day, uncover grass (roots should begin to take over your soil), water heavily once a day and keep the grass in the shade (never direct sunlight).
For mold problems, increase your air circulation with a fan or air conditioning to keep the temperature between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit (21° to 26° Celsius).
Harvest grass when a second blade of grass appears on the grass blades, or when the grass “splits” toward the bottom of the blade. Average growing time is seven to 12 days, depending on the weather, but still always watch for the second blade of grass as you can never judge by how many days it has been growing or how tall the grass is.
Only harvest once. Cut grass will store in the fridge for about seven to 10 days or longer in Debbie Meyer Green Bags. Then start the process all over again with new seeds and soil.
The ideal growing temperature is 60-80° F (20-25° C). Always keep the temperature above 50°F (10°C), and if it is 80°F (26°C) or higher, increase air circulation to prevent mold. Also remember that your sprouts/grass will grow slower during colder months and faster in warmer Seattle weather.
Have fun and if you are short on time please remember that we also deliver wheatgrass and sprouts to locations in the greater Seattle area and Kitsap County.
The Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach Florida is a leader in natural health care and founded on a the philosophy of a vegan, living, enzyme-rich diet. Dr. Brian Clement, co-Director of Hippocrates Health Institute is a huge advocate of drinking fresh, green juices and is sharing one of his favorite green juice recipes. If you don’t drink green juice on a regular basis, here are a few reasons to consider slipping a few of these power-packed drinks into your daily routine! Indianola Organics grows beautiful organics pea shoots and sunflower greens as well as organic wheatgrass near Seattle, Washington. If you are a Seattle juicer we may be able to deliver to your door.
1.Detoxifies the body – It’s very cleansing and assists in the removal of toxins that people absorb everyday
2.Fosters healthy weight loss
3. Helps to alkalize the body (This is important as many diseases thrive in acidic conditions)
4. Strengthens your immune system
5. Gives you more energy (because juicing reduces the energy your body needs to digest foods)
Brian Clement drinks two liters of juice a day and over half of that is made of sprouts, which are 30 times more nutritious than even the best vegetables! This juice combines two different types of sprouts: pea sprouts and sunflower sprouts.
Dr Clement’s Sprouted Green Juice—For a 20 oz. serving of green juice, simply combine the following:
For some of us, even us here at Indianola Organics, 50 reasons to juice wheatgrass is what it takes…
Wheatgrass is intense. And so is this list of, count ‘em, 50 reasons get this living green liquid straight into your belly. Doctors Brian and Anna Maria Clement run the Hippocrates Health Institute and are leaders in the field of natural health and healing. Just like a shot of fresh wheatgrass, the Clements and the HHI will give it to you straight. If you’re looking for real, hard-core natural health and healing guidance we suggest you take the time to check out what they’re doing down in Florida. Several family and friends of Indianola Organics have attended HHI, some for healing and some for education. Indianola Organics feels grateful for what has been shared with us thus we are passing it all along to you.
There are the tips below that could convince even the most grass-averse reader to throw back a green glassful. Take a gander at these tips.
1. Wheatgrass Juice is one of the best sources of living chlorophyll available today. However, to get the full benefit, the chlorophyll must come fresh from a living plant.
2. Wheatgrass juice contains up to 70% chlorophyll, which is an important blood builder. The chlorophyll molecules closely resemble that of the hemin molecule, the pigment which combines with protein to form hemoglobin. The major difference is the chlorophyll molecule contains magnesium as it’s central atom, and the hemin molecule contains iron. The molecular structure of these two substances is almost identical in all other respects.
3. Chlorophyll is the molecule that absorbs sunlight and uses its energy to synthesize carbohydrates from CO2 and water. This process is known as photosynthesis, a complex biochemical pathway in which solar energy is used to convert water and carbon dioxide to glucose and other carbohydrates, and is the basis for sustaining the life processes of all plants. Since animals and most humans obtain their food supply by eating plants, photosynthesis can be said to be the source of our life also.
4.Chlorophyll contains enzymes and super- oxide dismutase, a copper-containing protein found in mature red blood cells. This enzyme decomposes superoxide radicals in the body into a more manageable form, thereby helping to slow down the aging process.
5. Chlorophyll is the first product of light and, therefore, contains more light energy than any other food element.
6. Wheatgrass juice contains crude chlorophyll (as opposed to pure) and can be taken orally and as a colon implant without side effects. In addition, scientists have never found wheatgrass to be toxic in any amount when given to either animals or humans.
7. Science has proven that chlorophyll arrests growth and development of unfriendly bacteria.
8. Chlorophyll is antibacterial and can be used inside and outside the body as a natural healer. The United States Army exposed guinea pigs to lethal doses of radiation. The guinea pigs fed chlorophyll-rich vegetables such as cabbage and broccoli had half the mortality rate as those fed a non-chlorophyll diet.
9. Chlorophyll can be extracted from many plants, but wheatgrass is superior because it has been found to have over 100 elements needed by man. If grown in organic soil, it absorbs 92 of the known 115 minerals from the soil.
10. Liquid chlorophyll has the ability to get into the tissue, where it can actually refine and renew them.
11. The bland soothing effect of chlorophyll (wheatgrass) ointments are very beneficial to the treatment of various skin diseases involving the outer and underlying layers of the skin, including: itching and burning of the rectum; ivy poisoning; weeping and dry eczema and even in conditions caused by insect bites or infection.
12. Doctors R. Redpath and J. C. Davis found chlorophyll packs inserted into the sinuses had a drying effect, clearing up congestion, and giving immediate relief. Congested head colds were cleared up within 24 hours.
13. Liquid chlorophyll washes drug deposits from the body.
14. Chlorophyll neutralizes toxins in the body.
15. Chlorophyll helps purify the liver.
16. Chlorophyll improves blood sugar problems.
17. In the American Journal of Surgery (1940), Benjamin Gruskin, M.D. recommends chlorophyll for its antiseptic benefits. The article suggests the following clinical uses for chlorophyll: to clear up foul smelling odors, neutralize Strep infections, heal wounds, hasten skin grafting, T cure chronic sinusitis, overcome chronic inner ear inflammation and infection, reduce varicose veins and heal leg ulcers, eliminate impetigo and other scabby eruptions, heal rectal sores, successfully treat inflammation of the uterine cervix, get rid of parasitic vaginal infections, reduce typhoid fever, and cure advanced pyorrhea in many cases.
18. Dr. Birscher, a research scientist, called chlorophyll “concentrated sun power.” He said, “chlorophyll increases the function of the heart, affects the vascular system, the intestines, the uterus, and the lungs.”
19. Wheatgrass juice can dissolve the scars that are formed in the lungs from breathing acid gasses. The effect of carbon monoxide is minimized since chlorophyll increases hemoglobin production.
20. Wheatgrass is high in oxygen like all green plants that contain chlorophyll. This is beneficial because the brain and all body tissues function at an optimal level in a highly- oxygenated environment.
21. It is a nutritionally complete food which will sustain the growth and development of laboratory animals and humans alike. Wheatgrass has what is called the grass-juice factor, which has been shown to keep herbivorous animals alive practically indefinitely.
22. Wheatgrass juice is a superior detoxification agent compared to carrot juice and other fruits and vegetables.
23. The starch of the wheat berry is stored energy which when converted to simpler sugars is a quick energy source. It is especially good for athletes because it is a juice and is assimilated in 20 minutes or less, and uses very little of the body’s energy to extract the nutrients..
24. Because 1 ounce of juice equals 2 pounds of produce nutritionally, it naturally shuts off the appestat in the brain.
25. Wheatgrass contains a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals, including the thirteen essential ones, combined with dozens of trace elements and enzymes.
26. Wheatgrass juice is an effective healer because it contains all minerals known to man, and vitamins A, B-complex, C, E, l and K. It is extremely rich in protein, and contains 17 amino acids, the building blocks of protein.
27. Farmers in the Midwest who have sterile cows and bulls put them on wheatgrass to restore fertility. (The high magnesium content in chlorophyll builds enzymes that restore the sex hormones.)
28. Wheatgrass juice cures acne and even help to remove scars after it has been ingested for seven to eight months. The diet, of course, must be improved at the same time.
29. Wheatgrass juice acts as a detergent in the body and can be used as a body deodorant.
30. A small amount of wheatgrass juice in the human diet helps prevents tooth decay.
31. Wheatgrass juice held in the mouth for 5 minutes will help eliminate toothaches. It pulls poisons from the gums.
32. Gargle wheatgrass juice for a sore throat.
33. Drink wheatgrass juice for skin problems such as eczema or psoriasis.
34. Wheatgrass juice helps to keep the hair from graying.
35. Pyorrhea of the mouth: lay pulp of wheatgrass soaked in juice on diseased area in mouth or chew wheatgrass, spitting out the pulp.
36. Wheatgrass juice improves the digestion.
37. Wheatgrass juice is an excellent skin cleanser and can be absorbed through the skin for nutrition. Pour green juice over your body in a tub of warm water and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with cold water.
38. Wheatgrass implants (enemas) are great for healing and detoxifying the colon walls. The implants also heal and cleanse the internal organs. After an enema is evacuated, implant 4 ounces of wheatgrass juice. Retain for 20 minutes.
39. Wheatgrass juice improves arthritis. Soak a cotton sock with 6 ounces and place on affected area, cover with plastic bag.
40. For minor eye irritation apply strained wheatgrass juice mixed with half pure water in an eyecup for 15 – 30 seconds.
41. Massage 6 ounces into the scalp and cover with shower cap for 15 minutes to help eliminate dandruff.
42. Wheatgrass juice can be used as a douche for many feminine complications.
43. Wheatgrass juice is great for constipation and keeping the bowels open because it is high in magnesium.
44. Wheatgrass juice reduces high blood pressure and enhances the capillaries.45. Wheatgrass juice can remove heavy metals from the body.
46. Wheatgrass juice is great for blood disorders of all kinds.
47. Another benefit of wheatgrass is you can grow it in just about a weeks, right in your own home.
48. Wheatgrass is gluten- free because it’s cut before the grain forms.
49. Dr. Earp Thomas said, “Wheat is the king of all grain foods”. He found that an ounce of wheatgrass in a gallon of fluoridated water would turn the fluorine into harmless calcium-phosphate-fluoride compound. Used in wash water it adds softness to the face and hands. In the bath, it is most soothing. It stops bleeding, eases itching, and helps sores and pimples to heal. Dr. Thomas further discovered that fruits and vegetables contaminated by sprays were thoroughly cleaned and the negative food transformed by wash water with a wisp of wheatgrass placed in the water.
50. And finally – by taking wheatgrass juice, one may feel an increase in strength and endurance, renewed health and spirituality, and experience an overall sense of well-being.
This is a great article Indianola Organics wanted to share by Suzanne Hall of The Chalkboard Mag, who turned to Hippocrates Health Institute for reasons to drink wheatgrass everyday. We hope you will enjoy our wheatgrass grown near Seattle, Washington!
At our farm near Seattle, Washington we grow our wheatgrass, pea shoots and sunflower greens under natural Seattle sunlight thus our wheatgrass is chockfull of chlorophyll, vitamins, amino acids, minerals and enzymes!
Wheatgrass is best juiced and consumed within 15 minutes to get the full nutritional benefit. You do not need an expensive juicer, although if you can swing it an Omega or Samson electric juicer gives you easy power to juice all kinds of veggies and fruit as well. Our favorite affordable model is the the Healthly Juicer, which has terrific reviews at only $49.95. This manual machine will extract the juice beautifully from your greens. Start with one once or less and gradually build up to two ounces. Many folks will have two ounces in the morning and then two ounces again in the evening. Do not consume more than two ounces at a time or more than four ounces in a day. For the best yield, taste and nutrition, water and drain daily. Harvest grass when a second blade of grass appears on the grass blades, or when the grass “splits” toward the bottom of the blade. If you do not have time to juice, cut the grass just above the soil and store in the refrigerator which prevents the grass from aging, thus losing nutrients. Only harvest once. The grass will keep fresh up to one week or longer if you use a Debbie Myers Green Bag(which we love by the way). Here at Indianola Organics we prefer our shot solo but many folks like to add to their green juice recipes or smoothie. We will be adding more great recipes for making green drinks with those gorgeous fruits and vegetables from one of our beautiful Seattle area farmers markets.
Our can buy our wheatgrass all over the Seattle, Washington and the Pacific Northwest including PCC, Central Market and Ballard Market.
Wheatgrass is a variety of grass that is used like an herbal medicine for its therapeutic and nutritional properties. It is available as a fresh squeezed juice, a dehydrated powder, or tablets. Naturally the freshly juiced version is loaded with the most nutrients and phytonutrients. Wheatgrass is a powerful healer especially when grown with organic seed, in organic soil under natural organic sunlight as we do. It has broad effectiveness, but its three most therapeutic roles are: blood purification, liver detoxification, and colon cleansing. Wheatgrass contains a significant source of chlorophyll which flushes the lymph system, nourishes and oxygenates the vascular system, cleanses the intestines, and is healing and soothing to all mucous membranes. It is also a suberb source of high quality antioxidants that prevent aging at the cellular level and strengthens our immunity. These young grasses behave like vitamins because they are naturally concentrated but it is made in natures laboratory so it is delivered in perfect balance! Keep you mind open to wheatgrass colon implants. As Kris Karr, author of Crazy, Sexy Diet says “One 4 ounce shot made at home or bought fresh from the juice bar is like hooking your immune system up to a set of jumper cables”. More on that later:)
Our new containers are growing more beautiful than ever! These are just a few of the 100 centerpieces we are growing for a celebration this weekend at Seattle’s Tyee Yacht Club. It is going to be a gorgeous weekend. Enjoy!
3 cups of our pea shoots/sunflower greens or a fist full of romaine
2 or 3 stalks of celery
1 green apple, quartered
1/2 peeled lemon, quartered
Using a slow-gear juicer, add ingredients one by one. Although we all know the nutrients are at their best shortly after juicing, I will still usually double this recipe so I am sure to have my afternoon green pick me up in the refer and ready to go.